It seems like many golfers today get lost in the present but with golf’s long and storied past there so much be experienced. As a golf collector I am always looking for information on the history of the game that we love so much. Here is one of my favorite golf related websites.
- On this day, In 1913 amateur Francis Ouimet won the US Open over heavy favorites Harry Vardon & Ted Ray
- On this day: In 1956, Pro golfer John Weitzel was killed in a car accident on the way home from a Pro-Am tournament
- On this day, In 1897 Joe Lloyd wins the 3rd staging of the U.S. Open held at Chicago Golf Club
- On this day, In 1869 Young Tom Morris records the first hole in one on Prestwick’s 8th hole
- On this day, In 1957 a 45 year old Sam Snead shoots lowest recorded round (at the time) -60- at the Dallas Open
- On this day, In 1872 “Young” Tom Morris wins his 4th consecutive Open Championship in Prestwick, Scotland